Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Birchier Muesli

Looking through 'Season's'  I'm grateful to find a breakfast recipe. I am a big fan of toasted muesli and have never made my own before so I was keen to give it a go.

The recipe supplied is quite simple and neat, so I add my own tweaks to it. It's a great base recipe, of oats, almonds, apricots, pepita's, dried apple and honey, so I add sunflower seeds, LSA (ground linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds) and cranberries, just for a little extra sweetness. I cut up the dried apple and mix it through rather than roasting them as whole slices. Mixing it all up in the tray with the honey, I leave little clumpy bits so they cook together and I'll have little crunchy clusters in my cereal. Tip for the new cooks: spray your measuring cup for the honey with some cooking oil, it will slide right out!

The original recipe cooks the muesli for 15 min, but I leave it in for an extra 10 so it's really golden, just the way I like it. I think there's enough to last me about a week and a half, more than the average $5 - 7 box of decent toasted muesli, so it's definitely a recipe I'll be cooking over and over. I love it's simpleness, so I can add my own flavours to make it just the way I like.

What do you make for breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment