Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Coconut Rice and Vanilla Honey

I love creamed rice. Love, love, LOVE creamed rice. I can't express how much I love it. If i were ever on Death Row (which would probably be for eating too much chocolate!) my last meal would be creamed rice.

I grew up with my Dad's creamed rice. It's my absolute favourite dessert, any time of the year. Hot, straight off the stove with cold, cold ice cream is the best way to eat it. Every birthday I'd get a lovely big bowl of creamed rice, which always followed Dad's Pumpkin Soup. The best two things that Dad can cook, well in my opinion anyway. So when I found this recipe, I had to try it. I knew straight away it would be completely different, but I don't care. It's creamed rice.

The big difference between my Dad's recipe and the Season's one is that Dad uses plain white rice and the recipe I was following uses Arborio, or Risotto, rice. And, the absorbtion method is again different. Arborio rice is renown for being difficult to cook with, having to stand there and stir for what feels like hours upon hours. Season's says to add the rice and water all at once and let come to the boil. Ok. Easy. Gives my arm a break too. (when Dad cooks it he brings milk and sugar to the boil then add's the white rice to cook it)

Once boiling, it only takes 10 min for the water to absorb, which is a lot quicker than I anticipated, I add the sugar and coconut milk and let cook for a few more minutes then its done. Huh? Done already? Seriously? I'm loving this recipe.....!

It's served with Vanilla Honey, which is just a matter of slicing a fresh vanilla bean, removing the seeds then adding them and the bean to 1/2 a cup of honey and heating gently so the vanilla infuses. Some sliced stone fruit and I added some fresh blueberries.

I loved it. So simple. The coconut in the rice wasn't over powering but the honey could easily take over the dish, so only a little is needed. Eating it warm made it seem quite rich but cold the next day and it seemed to have mellowed out a lot. And I ate all the leftovers myself.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh that looks scrummy!! I've got that Donna Hay cook book. THink I'll be cooking that one tomorrow. Yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete