Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cheat's Ricotta, Spinach and Mint Gnocchi

Please note: I've never made gnocchi before. Never. Ever. So when I found this 'Cheat's' version, I thought, 'Sweet! It'll be easy and taste great!' Yes, I've eaten gnocchi before. Beautiful. Soft. Not anything like what I made.

I think where I went wrong was overworking the flour in the mixture. I think it activated the gluten too much as the end result were so  - er - glutenous, that I didn't like it very much at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I stood there mixing and rolling for ages, I was very aware not to, but still. Not a good result.

And my cream was off, so I made a quick butter and garlic sauce and tossed them in that, but they were ruined long before they got to that pan.

They formed well. I found the recipe needed a touch more flour than what it calls for or they wouldn't hold together at all. Not much, maybe a tablespoon? But without it, the gnocchi were falling apart and no way they would have survived boiling water. There were in long enough to come to the surface and I removed them when they started floating. Then tossed them in the butter and grated a bit of fresh Parmesan over the top.

But, as I facebooked, they tasted like dumplings without the Beef Stew. Very bland. Very glutenous. Not at all enjoyable for full meal. That's ok. I'm not going to like everything I make, that's for sure.

Isn't that the point to cooking? So I can improve technique, my taste and learn more.

Next time I will try cooking traditional gnocchi. With potatoes. And not cheating....

No comments:

Post a Comment