Monday, January 31, 2011

Almond and Mint Chicken with Polenta fingers

Please excuse me, I can't remember the actual title of the Chicken dish....and couldn't be bothered getting up and shuffling into the kitchen when I'm oh so comfy where I am right now.

Oh, and while you're at it, excuse the crappy iPhone photos too. My camera battery is flat.

But, onto the cooking....

I love that this book is full of little side dish ideas. Crispy Polenta Fingers. I love Polenta. But, I usually cook it very differently to this, so I was excited to try a different recipe. My usual recipe calls for a mixture of water and milk and that keeps it nice and creamy. I add cheese and butter and we eat it soft, as a bed for a stew or slow cooked Lamb Shanks. So, to cook it in stock makes sense, but just a different technique for me. Add a knob of butter, to keep the creaminess. Add Olives then set. I'm already thinking of other things to add. Sun dried tomatoes. Bits of cooked veggies. Sweet Corn. Cut into long strips and bake till golden. Then top with cheese and grill till there's more gold. Oh, the possibilities!


Anyway, I made these with the Almond and Mint Chicken recipe. I'll be the first to admit....I overcooked the chicken. I was sitting there thinking, it'd be great with a bit of yogurt or sour cream, but then, if I just cooked it well it wouldn't need that! I got distracted sitting with my little man out the front and it got left in there a few minutes longer than necessary. It was a bit dry, but the almond and mint sauce that you pour over while it's still hot made a big difference. A bit of lemon. Bit of sugar. Bit of garlic. Then some good ol' olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment