Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Apple and Date Strudel

Hubby informs me, after I'd started making this dessert, that he's never had strudel before. I'm pretty sure that's a crime somewhere. If not, it should be. My Dad loves strudel and I've had it countless times growing up. Usually the frozen ones from the supermarket, but honestly, there's nothing wrong with them. Nice and warm with some cold ice-cream, they hit the spot on a cold winters night.

Well guess what. It's been cold at night. So I made strudel.

One thing I love about cooking is the repetitiveness of tasks. Peel, core and chop 6 Apples. Ok. May take me some time with two rat-bags hanging off me, but I get it done. And buttering the filo pastry layers. Mundane, but I like to do it. I think next time I try this I'd like to use the recipe from the recent Masterchef series where Apple Strudel was made in a Masterclass. They included the pastry and all, and I think as someone learning how to cook, that's what I'd like to learn. Filo is a good and quick alternative, but when I have time (hahahaha!!!!) I'd like to learn more.

This recipe uses almond meal in lieu of breadcrumbs, to soak up the excess moisture from the apples during cooking. Hubby didn't like it all that much. I loved it. I love the soft bite of the apple mixed with the crunchy filo layers. It was topped with slivered almonds, but without something to bind them there, they all just fell off and were a bit useless.

No photo. It wasn't the prettiest of desserts and I was too busy eating it each night to take a snap. Sorry, you'll just have to go make one for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment