Sunday, March 17, 2013

Minestrone Soup (with a few adjustments)

I love a good soup. Personally, I'm over this hot hot weather and can't wait till it's cold so I can snuggle down under a blanket and enjoy a good soup, hot chocolate and some crappy TV.

A girlfriend of mine and I have been having cooking days where our kids will run ragged for a few hours while we each cook one big meal then divide it between us so we can stock pile it in our freezers to give ourselves a night off cooking. Last time we did she made a lovely big batch of bolognese sauce. I made Donna's Minestrone Soup. 

The soup itself is quite simple and lovely. Core ingredients like tomatoes and veggies. I was surprised that there was no pasta or rice to bulk it out a little, but I did leave out the beans as we don't eat them and they'd go to waste. Waste not, want not.

As I made it to share and wanted something a little more substantial, I added some Quinoa for bulk. Worked so well. Then for dinner one night I added some leftover BBQ chicken I had, heated it through and ate it all with some yummy gluten free bread. Worked really well.

I think that's the greatest thing about recipes. You can view them as a base and personalise them how you like. I wanted a little more than the simple Minestrone recipe, I could do that easily without much fuss.


No comments:

Post a Comment