Friday, March 30, 2012

Creme Brulee

I have to admit, I've never made Creme Brulee before. It's one of those 'classic' desserts and always intimidated me a little. But I'm going to have to make it again, because my creme brulee was a complete and utter FAIL.

Yes, I've now made it. So technically I can tick it off my list. But I'm not happy Jan and will one day give it another go.

The custard worked really well but in hindsight, I wonder if it wasn't complete set when I baked it. Or maybe it hadn't been in the fridge long enough? I've no idea. The sugar crust top worked ok, considering I was crusting it under the grill in the oven. I would've liked a small hand held blow torch, but alas, IGA doesn't sell one.

It looked okay, but after cracking into it Hubby and I discovered the custard underneath was not smooth and delicious. It was like sweet watery scrambled eggs. Which confused me as the initial custard worked really well. Maybe it re-cooked being under the grill? I've no idea. I'm just not happy with it.

And will one day try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment