Friday, July 20, 2012

Coffee Cake with Mixed Toffee Nuts

As you can see, I'm trying to plow through this book at the moment. I realise that I need to pull my finger out and get cooking. The only problem is that there ends up being a lot of food and only Hubby and I to eat it.

So what do I do? Take it to Mothers Group.

I've been eye'ing off this cake for a little while. I love cake and I'll say that freely. Love. Cake. And Toffee. And sugar. And nuts that have been mixed in toffee.

Maybe I just love food...

My cake didn't end up as high as the one in the photo.  My tin is 2cm bigger than the one in the recipe, but I didn't think that'd make that much of a difference. Besides, I don't have an 18cm pan.

Also, I substituted instant coffee for an espresso shot. Because, really, instant is horrible. And I just so happen to able to make an espresso shot. Much better flavour.






My toffee didn't go as dark as I would have liked. The sugar syrup was turning golden but in hindsight I think I could have left it for a few moments more to deepen in colour and flavour. I've honestly never made toffee before and I was pleased with the end result.

Tasted pretty awesome. And thankfully the lovely Child Health Nurse, Robyn at Mother Group agreed. So I left her a decent quarter of the cake to take home. Hey, Hubby doesn't like coffee and I don't need to eat it all on my own...


No comments:

Post a Comment