Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mini Hot Cakes with Cinnamon Butter

This morning a friend and her daughter came over for a play date, and because kids love cooking, I thought it'd be fun to make hot cakes (piklets).

 Fun for who? The kids? They ended up running a muck then coming in and demanding piklets when the mixture wasn't yet finished! But it was fun getting them to have a mix and feeding them full.

I love how light these cakes were. I didn't have any buttermilk but quickly found I could make some with some ordinary milk and lemon juice, so that I did. The acidity of it reacts with the baking powder 'to lighten the texture of the hot cakes' to quote the recipe. I think the lightness also comes from the beaten egg whites that are mixed into the batter.

I didn't notice until after I had started cooking that there isn't any sugar in the batter at all. That has been replaced by honey, but they're not overly sweet at all. The lemon zest is a nice subtle flavour that sits well with the honey.

I love the cinnamon butter. As there is no cinnamon in the piklets, it compliments them so well. And is a nice little treat to spread over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment